Thursday, February 07, 2008

There's Something about Barry

Whenever I mention to students that I have a guinea pig as a pet I get some pretty interesting faces. Actually I only get two faces, the "Are you fucking with me?" face and the "Why the fuck does this grown-ass man have a giant hamster as a pet?" face. I get the latter of the two more often. Of course any person with a vagina immediately starts screaming, "Kawaii!!!!", at me the moment I show them Barry's picture. (kawaii = mind-numbling cute... actually the mind numbing part my be a side effect of the squeel with which is delivered.)

Barry Bonds is cute. He is quite possibly the cutest guinea pig I have ever seen, but then again I had never seen a guinea pig up close before. The damn things are big rodents. rodents have teeth. Teeth hurt.

My roommate actually sold me on the idea of getting a guinea pig as a pet. She kept telling me about how docile and well adjusted to captivity they are. I didn't believe it but then I saw some pictures online and could not beleive their cuteness. I had to get a guinea pig and so I did.

But now Barry is a little anooying at times. I think I might have to give him the pigeon treatment. When he gets hungry he has developed the habit of "dancing." Around 6 or 7 in the morning he starts jumping around his cage throwing his head around and shaking his body. His cage is made of wire and so his dancing is really really loud and aggravating. SO I hop up and feed him as quickly as possible to make him stop dancing. It works but only until he is hungry again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a hamster once. I kept him for a couple of years..then I forgot about him. I hope you can tear yourself away from your blog long enough to take care of him.