Saturday, July 14, 2007

I do not really like watermelon but if this man offered it to me I think I would eat it. I actually posted this picture cause the watermelon made me think of my dumb ass roommate. I'm starting to wonder if that girl has ever in her life actually owned a trash can or felt it necessary to empty a trash can.
Last week my roommate was given a watermelon as a gift from one of her students. I say gift because a watermelon here would cost at least 12 dollars in America. That little fact I simply cannot reconcile myself with. My father grows watermelons. Hundreds of them. He gives them away to friends sometimes or just gorges himself on them for weeks at a time. He calls it his watermelon diet.
My roommate brought the melon home and looked thrilled about it, but quickly realized that she didn't know how to cut it. I watched her. She attempted to cut a wedge out of the still intact melon, which is possible but given the size of our refrigerator should not be considered. I eventually went over and cut it for her and explained... well demonstrated in a very exaggerated fashion that you don't put the rind in the regular trash. I put in a smaller bag and threw it out before i went to sleep. I exaggerated all of these motions in the hopes that she would catch on. She didn't.
Naturally there was left over watermelon. She has been eating on it throughout the week. Yesterday was my day off and I was cleaning the apartment, cause I thought I was gonna get some, but that is a different story. As I was cleaning I kinda absently realized that the flies in the apartment were swarming a bit. My apartment is plagued by fruit flies. It might be my fault. I'm always hot so I always leave the windows open. Anyway, I decided to look for the source of the flies. They were not coming from the sinks or the bathroom or from that vile place where my roommate sleeps. That only left the trash under the sink. I opened the door and out poured this cloud of insects. They nearly knocked me back. It was horrible. It turns out that my highly intelligent by book standards roommate had thrown the remaining watermelon rind into the trash and had in the process attracted no less than a thousand insects. I was pissed. Am pissed.
I was so pissed that I almost called her at work to express my pissedness, but I didn't. I took the bag out of the trash, tied it up, and sat it next to her little desk. I am now waiting for her to ask about it. When she does I will encourage her to open it so that she too can have a cloud of insects in her face.

1 comment:

SemiSpecial said...

That is a nice pic. But I love watermelon regardless. Ur friend is just nasty. She reminds me of those people on Oprah..who are horders.