Thursday, March 16, 2006

Damn Cats Rejects



I'm 23 now and for the most part pretty well adjusted for someone coming from He... I mean Mississippi. I say for the most part because of this show. This show, Zoobilie Zoo, screwed me in the head when I was younger. When I was seven or something close to that my aunt used to babysit me. This show came on everyday right in the middle of her soaps. It was like General Hospital, Dallas, Zoobilie Zoo and then All My Children. The schedule was perfect. Everyday my favorite show came on, until one day things went horribly wrong. Zoobilie Zoo was my favorite show. On this horrible day things changed. The cute characters (which now appear freakish and just plain disgusting) sang their songs, did their dance, and proceeded to teach me something special. On this day the something special was about the solar system. The characters explained the way that gravity works on earth and in the solar system. They explained that the sun is our solar system's center of gravity and that all things are pulled towards it. They explained that all the planaets in our system are slowly being pulled towards the sun and that one day all of the planets will fall in.

That shit shocked me. I was seven, very impressionable, and very aware of how the sun worked. I watched the discovry channel. I knew that the sun was hot. I knew that nothing could live on the sun. Nothing dammit! Nothing. The little giggling happy character on Zoobilie Zoo made me leave my room. I almost cried after watching that show. I sat outside my aunt's trailer and refused to look up. I just sat there and sucked on my blue frozen cup and wonder just how soon we would all burn up. After that day I could never watch Zoobilie Zoo again. I just didn't feel right. My stomach churned and my heart grew weak.

They Basically told me that I was gonna die. That is never cool on a children's show. I just wanted to say that and let every one know about another one of the many 80's shows that contributed to my fucked up nature.

No comments: