Monday, October 02, 2006

Denki? and tight shoes

Calling today uneventful would almost be a sin. I think this might actually be the most eventful day i've had in nagoya thus far. I assure you that is not a good thing.

I have found that the easiest way to insure a bad day is to start off by wearing small shoes. Yes, although wearing small shoes seems easy to avoid, almost second nature to some, is my first crime of the day... maybe even my only crime. I was forced to wear the small shoes because my favorite pair of shoes (which I have not laced since removing them fromt he box 7 months ago) has developed a rather large hole in the sole of the left shoe. Today it rained. Actually al weekend it rained. The danger to my socks should be apparent. Anyway, I felt that wearing my other pair of dress shoes was my only option. Now these shoes are gorgeous. They are a beautiful shade of brown, the soul is rubber but still gorgeous and they were a christmas gift from my older sister. Their only flaw is that they are too damn small. I've put off wearing them for ten months. Even though I love them I forced myself to not wear them... until today. I should have heeded the first warning. My blue shoes tried to prevent me from opening the door to the brown shoes. (they had wedged themselves in the door) I could not be stopped though. I got the brown ones and struggled for five minutes to put them on. That was the second sign. The third sign should have been the simple fact that although they were on my feet effectively cutting off circulation they still were struggling to get off. I shojuld have freed them and my feet, but i was determined. So for the majority of the day my feet bore the brunt of my stupidity and the curse of the brown shoes.

Anyway, shortly after hobbling down the street to the station I realized that i missed my first train of the day. I missed the subway by a whole 1 minute. Maybe even seconds, but I've grown accustomed to missing the subway so i wasn't alarmed. I just waited my ten minutes for the next one. Anyway I made it to the main station and mad my requisite mad dash to the Kintetsu train station. (That mad dash is becoming a bit of a monday morning ritual for me.) Once I arrived at the station I was surprised to find that the line to buy a ticket was incredibly long. Like maybe four or five times its normal monday length. I still was not bothered. I even managed to overlook the bothered expressions of the people around me.

When I finally made it to the booth and asked for my ticket the little japanese man made a gesture with his hand (maybe for no, my feet were interferring with my ability to understand) and kept saying the word denki. I being an idiot when it comes to Japanese went asked as best i could what the hell do you mean "denki?" This attempt at understanding manifested itsef simply as "Denki wa?" I was quickly brushed away though. A foreigner not understanding simple japanese can't be dealt with apparently. I went to one of a thousand stressed out conductors and got the same handsigns. I eventually interpretted the signs as meaning some stupid bitch had walked willy nilly in front of a train and ceased to be with the living anymore. I was told later that an even stupider truck driver took out a wall of powerlines and redenred the trains unusable.

I eventually called my head office to report the problem with my train and was told to run (in my small shoes) over to a different train line and try to make it to buttfuck again. That's Tsu for ya'll who are not in the know. After hobbling the evil nail lined mile over to the new station I realized the ticket costs almost twice as much as the other ticket I would have bought, but I got it any damn way. While while waiting for my train this weird old man crept up beside me and basically did a full bow to my feet. Like knees and hands and forehead on the floor. TO say that I was weirded out was an understatement. Apparently my shoelace was untied and required a full bow to correct. At any rate I dashed through the ticket gate and waited on the freezing cold platform... well not freezing clod but still cold. (will winter here make me cry?)

Once I made it to work, 15 minutes late, I realized that my boss had a student waiting for me. So I had like a half second to get ready and teach class... TO AN OLD ALMOST DEAF WOMAN!!!!! Ok, saying she is almost deaf is a bit of a lie. She is a little hard of hearing, but I had to shout and talk slow the entire class and did I mention that I still had the tight ass shoes on!!!???!!!

I finished with the old lady and was immediately greeted with my boss, Mika, asking if I had managed to get the stuff for the crazy english conversation proficiency test. Of course I hadn't. The company had held some type of lame ass workshop behind my back. So I didn't have shit. Not even a clue. SO I had to make a ton of calls (four) to get someone at the head office to fax the crap over and then i delivered the test to my class whiel still in my tight shoes.

On the way home I think my toes started to bleed a little. I know they begged me in their cute we've been abused all day by your tight shoes way to not make them go back into that horrible place again.

Ok. I'm tired of typing. Maybe I'll fill in the details on this later. or at least spell check it.

No comments: