Friday, February 02, 2007

NOVA

I'm thirsty and just the slightest bit bored. Actually very bored and hungry. Normally, on Thursday, I would not have time to dwell on me hunger, but seeing as how my normally wonderful student, Miki, has decided to forsake me I have a sudden overabundance of time to ponder.
Fear not. I will not regale you with tales of my limitless hunger or of the fiery, acidic morning shits that come from a dinner that includes hot salsa and onions... lots of onions. I will instead tell you about some recent Japanese news. News that for once might actually be relevant to me.

Drugs. Plain and Simple. Drugs people and the overwhelming Japanese assumption that foreigners bring them into the country and the ways in which some foreigners work hard to feed this assumption with truth.
Recently 7 NOVA teachers were recently arrested for drug possession. Who is NOVA? Basically a company who didn't hire me. Fools who deserve whatever they get after hiring morons and passing over me, a diamond of the highest quality.

The Story...

7 NOVA teachers arrested for possessing cannabis, cocaine

Seven foreign teachers working at the NOVA English language conversation school have been arrested on suspicion of violating a law on illegal drugs and the Cannabis Control Law, police said Wednesday.
Police accuse the seven of possessing five bags containing a total of about 1.5 grams of powdered cocaine, and 15 bags containing a total of about 8.2 grams of cannabis, on a street in Tokyo's Roppongi district on Nov. 19 last year.
Investigators said a 32-year-old American teacher who was arrested on the spot on the same day told police another NOVA teacher had made a request for the drugs. The 32-year-old said the drugs were purchased from a street dealer.
Six other suspects later surfaced, including a 35-year-old teacher from Canada who was working at the same classroom in Saitama Prefecture, police said. (Mainichi)

from Mainichi Daily News


Funny, yeah? It would seem that someone, the 35 year-old guy mentioned whose name is actually Errin Valentine, was arrested by the police and quickly gave up his friends. You see the Japanese police have a one-up on American police when it comes to interrogation. Actually two-up. They can hold you on suspicion for up to 24 days with out allowing you to make phone calls or anything and they also do not have to feed you. So in my mind they have 24 days to interrogate and starve you. I call that torture, but I'm sure they have a better name for it.

Anyway this story gets even funnier when it comes to my company. Before I even had a chance to read about this story on the Internet I received a letter from some trick within the company vaguely stating the company's stance on drugs and threatening in a round about way to leave your sorry, drugged up, crazy gaijin ass out to dry alone. They will pull back from you completely with no pay. This was said vaguely but if you look at your contract it is there in slightly less vague, but just as easy to manipulate by a poorly trained lawyer print.

I wasn't bothered by the letter at first but after talking with some of the other foreign staff members I started to wonder why we were even given this letter. When I received this letter it seemed like a gift. This cute Japanese chick came bouncing up with a shiny face and a glowing smile. She like, "Here Tommie," and did like a happy bow and bounced off to deliver the letter to the other teachers. After talking to the other teachers I flagged her down and asked her if she ha received a letter as well.

At first she looked confused like, "What is he asking me?" And then as understanding set in her face seemed to say, "Why are you asking me that?" The Japanese have an assume that foreigners bring in all the drugs and she seemed a little offended that I would even insinuate that she would need to be reminded that she should not use drugs.

Why is this? I don't know but I'll talk about it later.

1 comment:

SemiSpecial said...

I knew that you were still on that stuff. Please Tommie, stop the madness.