Thursday, September 06, 2007

Remembering Latoya

Today, actually yesterday, I was watching an episode of Boston Public. That show was truly doomed the moment it went into production. Each episode was about some new social issue that might take place in the school. In this episode they covered terrorism, racial profiling, sex education, AIDS and teen girls, and bad parents of gay children. That was only one episode. The show was destined to simply implode upon itself. It was great, but just ran through the list of social issues much too quickly.

I used to love this show and the episode that I saw made me remember a very important moment in my life. The day that I learned about AIDS. I was maybe 11 or 12 and up until that point had never been given any formal information on AIDS or how it was contracted. I sure as hell didn't know that there was any connection between AIDS and the HIV (pronounced in my young mind like "give") virus. I came across my knowledge of the virus on a church trip. I also fondled a girls breast and was all but invited to drill a hole in her vagina. Naturally, my fear of pussy saved me from that experience. It failed me later.

On this church trip all of the kids were ushered in small groups into about three rooms to listen to different special speakers. There was the prison room complete with inmates, the drug room complete with gun toting cops, and the AIDS room complete with a soon to be dead woman. That is very insensitive of me, but I have found myself wondering lately, "Is she still alive?"

I think her name was Latoya, and while she was nothing wonderful to look at she was by no means ugly. I think you could call her cute. She had graham cracker colored skin, big kinda slanted eyes, and good teeth. I think her hair was done nicely and she wore clothes. I can't remember much about them accept that they didn't really flatter her figure.

She told us within minutes of sitting down that she had AIDS. She told us with a great bit of energy about how she got it, but then became very solemn when she admitted that yeah she would die eventually. I think she even said within the next five years or less. Something like that. She seemed positive but only in light spurts. She made AIDS scary.

This entry isn't really about AIDS it is about Latoya. I wonder where she is. How she is. If she is... you know....

1 comment:

SemiSpecial said...

Very interesting article. I wish i knew this "Latoya" you speak of. Who knows. SHe may still be around. There are people who live into old age with this disease. Some people who have HIV take years for it to progress to AIDS.