Saturday, June 02, 2007


I was coming back from a class with Ms. Grinch when suddenly our path was obstructed. By what, you ask? A 19th century feudal army, having traveled back through time? A large oxen? Jenny McCarthy's disembodied fake tits? No, something far more absurd. At least twenty Japanese boys, laying on the floor, all of them spooning one another. Some of them, I guess unable to find a spooning partner, were just kicking back on top of the whole pile.

Ms. Grinch turns to me. "Well. This is quite gay, isn't it?"

FUCKIN'A, I'M GLAD *SOMEONE* FINALLY SAID IT!

Many of us Gaijin Teachers are initially surprised by how...touchy-feely Japanese boys are with one another. Granted, I am American, so I may not have the best perspective on the matter. In America, any male-to-male contact that is not in the context of fighting, a high-five/ass slap during a sports game, or a drunken "I love you man!" NO HOMO HUG, is gay. So I dunno, maybe it's the American background coming into play here, but I'm just not used to seeing boys sit on each others laps, hold hands, grab each others penises, and especially, over twenty of them spooning in the middle of Brokeback Hallway.

...And I'm from San Francisco!

Yet, we Gaijin Teachers seem to be the only ones weirded out by it. Other Japanese teachers will just be like "Oh, boys..." and never think about it again. So I felt justified to finally have ONE Japanese teacher finally acknowledge how frickin weird this is, even if it was Ms. Grinch.

Ms. Grinch brings her concerns to the boys.

Ms. G: Well. This is rather gay of you.

Boy 1: What? What's gay?

Ms. G: All of you sitting here like this.

Boy 2: This isn't gay!

Boy 3: We're just relaxing in between class.

Boy 1: We all get along really well.

Boy 4: Why do you want to destroy such beautiful friendships.

Ms. G: ...Whatever. Gay. At least get out of the way.

Boy 1: We don't wanna move.

Boy 2: Yeah, it's nice here.

Boy 3: You just wish you could be lying in a hallway full of boys, don't you?

Ms. Grinch gives me one of those "Oy vey" looks, and says "I guess we have no choice but to step over them." Almost merrily, she says "Over the Gay!" as she takes a mighty step over the boy pile. I too had to step over the boys, minus any flowery words regarding it. As we were heading back to the teachers room, Ms. Grinch turns to me again. "I'm sorry about that, Japanese boys can be quite...peculiar."
...Sister, you don't know the half of it.

From GaijinSmash

No comments: