Monday, June 18, 2007

I was once known as Pigeon Killer

The Nagoyan summer is almost completely upon us. Just a paltry 4 days and then we, I really, will be int he grip of a moist evil hotness that will send me daily dripping into my different schools and will make me curse every little happy, giggly faced, junior high kid I see. No that I have history of doing that, but I remember that last year's summer made me go a little batty at times.
It also had an interesting effect on the birds. They all became unified in their search for shade. One day in August of last year I wonder over to Osu Kannon, an old shopping area in town that is now often frequented by the "cool" crowd. They day that I went was particularly hot. Every person I saw was sucking on a a snowball or on ice cream. Because Nagoyans are extremely jumpy, when I tried, in my best broken Japanese, to ask where they got their snowballs I was ignored and walked quickly away from or some people shouted that they didn't speak English (even though I asked in Japanese) and kind scurried away with their hands in the air. I was pissed of course, but in my many moments of being pissed that day I suddenly had a realization, "Where are the damn animals?"
I had not even seen anyone walking their dog or a bird trying to fly away with some one's abandoned bread. Truly that bit was weird for a place that has lots of food on the ground. So I searched. Even though I had rivers of sweat pouring off of me I went searching for the animals and I found them. Well at least the birds.
I turned a corner and saw what looked like a gray carpet thrown conspicuously in the shade of a large temple. As I got closer I saw that the carpet was moving. As I got even closer I realized it was no less than 300 birds all huddle together trying to hide from the heat. It was really weird. There were like pigeons, and sparrows maybe a crow or two, and some smaller birds that i could not recognize.
Well with the summer almost upon us I think the birds will be huddling again. I just don't want them to do it on my balcony. So I feel that it is time for me to get my water ready and grab my big walking stick. I think that I might soon be at war again.

1 comment:

SemiSpecial said...

I always feel like I'm reading a chapter in a book when I read ur blog. It's kinda nice.